Our everyday choices are based on feelings, values, and perceptions. Choosing from a whole implies that our choices originate from a bigger perception than just our personal scope of work. Choosing from is a whole is a key to achieving sustainable results which require integration and alignment. Questions to widen your focus:
- What is the scope of my daily work?
- Which ‘small’ choices did I make today?
- Why did I make a certain choice?
- Was it aligned with the overall choices we make as a team, group or organization?
Teams that choose from a whole have a clear focus on people, systems, information and activities in their business ecosystem.
They base their choices on the shared context and shared values in this ecosystem. To check and balance during a meeting:
- What do we feel that is important (team)
- What is important in the perception of others (business ecosystem)
- What choice do we make right now?
Agile settings: story mapping
Portfolio management settings: Multi-criteria analysis
Project settings: Benefit analysis