- Make sure that you are fit and centered. It is easier to recognize the emotions of others in a balanced emotional state.
- Start every conversation with an open mindset balancing attention for I, You and We.
- Connect to others the way you would connect to people that are close to you. At the same time maintain a safe environment for yourself.
- Increase the level of eye contact (depending on culture).
- Adjust your attention from the content (what is said) to the form (how the other communicates with you).
How do we improve?
- Make sure all team member are ‘ready’ for a meeting
- Focus on the bigger picture (‘we’ and ‘it’)
- Slow down team communication when team members have trouble expressing themselves
- Acknowledge the group state (emotions)
- Acknowledge individual emotins, but do not get stuck in it
- Reframe emotions into ‘intent’ and ‘expectations’
- How does it feel for you when others empathise with you and acknowledge your emotions?