Empowerment originates from two sources:
- internal: feeling inspired, motivated and energized from an internal feeling or mindset
- external: getting permission, appreciation, energy or inspiration from others
Review your inner sources with questions such as:
- How do I motivate myself?
- What do I feel responsible for?
Review and balance with your external source:
- Who inspires me?
- What is my formal task or responsibility?
Focus on increasing your circle of influence.
Create clear defintions of tasks, roles and responsibilities for all team members. Balance autonomy among team members in accordance with the level of competence.
Also define and sustain a group responsibility: We, as a team, feel responsible for…
Recent surveys show that 34% of the professionals feels empowered but almost the same number feels not. Feeling empowered is a prerequisite for taking the lead and working in a flow. (Source: Ruysdael research on connected leadership)